[OpenAFS] Re: Home directory unavalable at certain times.

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 27 Apr 2012 12:48:13 -0500

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:28:20 -0400
Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:

> In this particular case, they are releasing the volumes every five
> minutes.  Depending upon when the VLDB info was obtained there may not
> be a full set of file servers listed that are up to date from the
> perspective of the client.

So... the Windows client doesn't ask the VLDB again for valid sites when
we get VOFFLINE?

> The Windows client has a 10 minute interval for resetting the status
> of an offline volume to online.  I can certainly see how the specific
> circumstances here can (a) result in an incomplete set of readonly
> instances to start with and a failure when none are left in an online
> state.

Sure, assuming I understand your explanation correctly, I can clearly
see how we can get a failure in this scenario. "This scenario" is a
reasonable enough and not-uncommon scenario, so I'm not sure how this is
anything but a Windows client bug.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net