[OpenAFS] Re: Transferring data from old server to new server

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:32:49 +0200

On 14.08.2012 14:55, Youssef Eldakar wrote:

> Thanks for all the help. I was able to successfully move volumes using
> 'vos move'. Now, I see that in order to be able to shut down the old
> server, I also have to move the 'dbserver'. I tried searching for
> instructions on doing that but was not quite successful. Any pointers
> would be much appreciated.

Hi

moving a DB server is not as trivial as moving the data.
For a start you can setup a new db server for your cell on the new
server and start it beside your old one - if done fine, they do sync
automatic and both will work as expected.
Now you need to see how your clients get known to the DB server - via
CellServDB or via DNS entries - in no.1 you need to change the
cellServDB on each client, on case no.2 you need to change the DNS entrie=
s.
Afterwards you can stop the old DB server and the new one should serv
all the data for your clients.
I=B4ve done it a few times already and it is possible.

> Youssef Eldakar
> Bibliotheca Alexandrina
>=20

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723