[OpenAFS] Re: Transferring data from old server to new server

Youssef Eldakar youssefeldakar@gmail.com
Tue, 14 Aug 2012 16:42:27 +0300

--e89a8f923f7c29d33b04c739fb1b

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at>wr=
ote:

> On 14.08.2012 14:55, Youssef Eldakar wrote:
>
> > Thanks for all the help. I was able to successfully move volumes using
> > 'vos move'. Now, I see that in order to be able to shut down the old
> > server, I also have to move the 'dbserver'. I tried searching for
> > instructions on doing that but was not quite successful. Any pointers
> > would be much appreciated.
>
> Hi
>
> moving a DB server is not as trivial as moving the data.
> For a start you can setup a new db server for your cell on the new
> server and start it beside your old one - if done fine, they do sync
> automatic and both will work as expected.
> Now you need to see how your clients get known to the DB server - via
> CellServDB or via DNS entries - in no.1 you need to change the
> cellServDB on each client, on case no.2 you need to change the DNS entrie=
s.
> Afterwards you can stop the old DB server and the new one should serv
> all the data for your clients.
> I=B4ve done it a few times already and it is possible.

OK, I will give it a try. Would the following be the right procedure to use=
?

http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/ch03s02.html

> > Youssef Eldakar
> > Bibliotheca Alexandrina
> >

> MfG,
> Lars Schimmer
> --

--e89a8f923f7c29d33b04c739fb1b

 3:32 PM, Lars Schimmer <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:l.schimmer@=
cgv.tugraz.at" target=3D"_blank">l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at</a>&gt;</span> wr=
ote:<br>
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div class=3D"im">On 14.08.2012 14:55, Youss=
ef Eldakar wrote:<br>
&gt; Thanks for all the help. I was able to successfully move volumes using=
&gt; &#39;vos move&#39;. Now, I see that in order to be able to shut down t=
he old<br>
&gt; server, I also have to move the &#39;dbserver&#39;. I tried searching =
for<br>
&gt; instructions on doing that but was not quite successful. Any pointers<=
br>
&gt; would be much appreciated.<br>
moving a DB server is not as trivial as moving the data.<br>
For a start you can setup a new db server for your cell on the new<br>
server and start it beside your old one - if done fine, they do sync<br>
automatic and both will work as expected.<br>
Now you need to see how your clients get known to the DB server - via<br>
CellServDB or via DNS entries - in no.1 you need to change the<br>
cellServDB on each client, on case no.2 you need to change the DNS entries.=
Afterwards you can stop the old DB server and the new one should serv<br>
all the data for your clients.<br>
I=B4ve done it a few times already and it is possible.<br></blockquote><div=
o use?<br><br><a href=3D"http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/ch03s02.htm=
l">http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/ch03s02.html</a><br>
er-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
&gt; Youssef Eldakar<br>
&gt; Bibliotheca Alexandrina<br>
MfG,<br>
Lars Schimmer<br>