[OpenAFS] AFS cell without AFSDB?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b@gmail.com
Wed, 15 Aug 2012 15:24:32 -0400

--e89a8fb205145ff72804c752e04b

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Ben Howell <howellbp@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm experimenting with a cluster in a new cell as part of a company-wide
> upgrade of our current AFS infrastructure. However, our DNS no longer
> supports custom non-TXT entries like AFSDB. Is there an alternative to
> AFSDB? I have SRV records in place, _afs3-vlserver and _afs3-prserver. Is
> there an SRV record for DB servers as well? Changing nameservers is not an
> option, unfortunately.

Those *are* the DB servers (minus kaserver, but if you're using aklog you
don't care and if you *are* still running kaserver for some reason then you
should find a way to get rid of it ASAP).  AFSDB was deprecated by the
OpenAFS community when those SRV records became standard; if anything, you
should be replacing it with the SRV records.

I would suggest using strace (or similar OS-specific utility such as dtruss
on OS X and Solaris or ktrace on *BSD) to find out exactly where aklog is
hanging up.  If it's hanging up looking for a nonexistent AFSDB RR, then
it's actually a problem with your DNS server not returning the appropriate
response to a failed query, and the workaround if you cannot get the DNS
servers to actually speak the DNS protocol properly might be to rebuild
OpenAFS without AFSDB support, or possibly run local caching nameservers.
 (Although I would think it'd check for the correct SRV RRs first and AFSDB
only as a fallback.)

Also, make sure the SRV records are what they're supposed to be.
 _afs3-prserver._udp.$cellname for whatever the cellname is.  (Note, not
the domain, not the Kerberos realm, *certainly* not a hostname.)

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b@gmail.com

--e89a8fb205145ff72804c752e04b

tr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:howellbp@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">howellbp@gm=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;pa=
dding-left:1ex">
I&#39;m experimenting with a cluster in a new cell as part of a company-wid=
e upgrade of our current AFS infrastructure. However, our DNS no longer sup=
ports custom non-TXT entries like AFSDB. Is there an alternative to AFSDB? =
I have SRV records in place, _afs3-vlserver and _afs3-prserver. Is there an=
 SRV record for DB servers as well? Changing nameservers is not an option, =
unfortunately.<br>
, but if you&#39;re using aklog you don&#39;t care and if you *are* still r=
unning kaserver for some reason then you should find a way to get rid of it=
 ASAP). =C2=A0AFSDB was deprecated by the OpenAFS community when those SRV =
records became standard; if anything, you should be replacing it with the S=
RV records.</div>
ility such as dtruss on OS X and Solaris or ktrace on *BSD) to find out exa=
ctly where aklog is hanging up. =C2=A0If it&#39;s hanging up looking for a =
nonexistent AFSDB RR, then it&#39;s actually a problem with your DNS server=
 not returning the appropriate response to a failed query, and the workarou=
nd if you cannot get the DNS servers to actually speak the DNS protocol pro=
perly might be to rebuild OpenAFS without AFSDB support, or possibly run lo=
cal caching nameservers. =C2=A0(Although I would think it&#39;d check for t=
he correct SRV RRs first and AFSDB only as a fallback.)</div>
pposed to be. =C2=A0_afs3-prserver._udp.$cellname for whatever the cellname=
 is. =C2=A0(Note, not the domain, not the Kerberos realm, *certainly* not a=
 hostname.)</div>
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0<a href=3D"mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com" targe=
t=3D"_blank">allbery.b@gmail.com</a><br>wandering unix systems administrato=
r (available) =C2=A0 =C2=A0 (412) 475-9364 vm/sms<br>

--e89a8fb205145ff72804c752e04b--