[OpenAFS] re doing rm in /vice*

rader@hep.wisc.edu rader@hep.wisc.edu
Thu, 23 Aug 2012 12:14:22 -0500

We have an AFS filserver running openafs-server-1.4.14-80.1.sl5.
We had to salvage one of it's RW volumes after a reboot.
But then it's backup volume that wouldn't attach, "needs to be salvaged"
Yet salvage said "read-only volume; not salvaged"
I couldn't vos remove nor vos zap.
So I removed the .vol file and did "bos restart"
Then I was able to revive the volume with "vos backup".
I've been using this shootgun approach for horked volumes for over a decade.
(mostly in "can't remove" or "can't clean up after ab-ended move" contexts.)
So, I'm wondering: should I be a little more gentle?  How??

steve