[OpenAFS] Graphical file managers get stuck

jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi jukka.tuominen@finndesign.fi
Mon, 10 Dec 2012 20:22:39 +0200 (EET)

Hmmm... Strange things happened. After several hang-ups, being more
patient they turned into time-outs, until... even nautilus could get
through! First I thought that initiating nautilus from the command line -
as part of strace command - did something, but then I could browse (in
veeeery slow motion) directly within nautilus.

Now it seems more likely that eventhough fakestat does its thing within
the local cell (or is otherwise just faster), the same thing isn't
happening with the foreign cells (or it is just too slow). Once the dir
content is displayed, nautilus continues to dig deeper into subdirs on the
background, adding the number of items one-by-one. So it seems it hasn't
scanned all-of-all before displaying the content!?

Should fakestat-all instead of fakestat solve this situation? How exactly
should I tweak the configuration to have it started on boot, and how can I
verify that it is on?

br, jukka