[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client 1.7.201 and later triggers printing of smiley faces on all printers shared via Samba

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 07 Feb 2012 12:20:04 -0500

--------------enig4742DE0D66D87C5764937339

On 2/7/2012 9:20 AM, Bo Nygaard Bai wrote:
> We have observed that windows clients running an installation of the
> OpenAFS client version 1.7.201 and later will, unknown to the user,
> print garbage on all our printers. Every time a user opens/refreshes th=
> Samba share exporting the printers, each available printer will print 2=

> pages each containing a single line of output:
>=20
> ,\ =E2=98=BA=E2=98=BA

How is this data arriving at the printers?   You say later that the
Windows Printer Spooler is disabled so there must be a direct connection
from some application to the printers.

Use SysInternals Process Monitor and WireShark to track the source of
the data being written to the process that is doing so.

In 1.7.2 the network provider interface, AFSRDFSProvider.dll, properly
fails a query for printers in the \\AFS name space.  It reports that
there are none instead of listing the file shares.

> In case the above UTF-8 does not survive the mail system:
>=20
>=20
> Just viewing the share exporting the printers will trigger this.

OpenAFS doesn't browse or otherwise interact with printers so it must be
an application process doing so in response to a network provider browse
request using the WNet API set.

> We only see this when the OpenAFS Client Service is running and only
> after version 1.7.201. It even happens when the windows Print Spooler
> service is stopped but AFS is running.

If OpenAFS is halted the AFSRDFSProvider will report "not connected" to
all queries.

> Has anybody else seen this or have an explanation?

I have not.

> Should I file a bug report on this?

With whom?  That is the question.  Since the problem occurs with Samba
shared printers and not Microsoft Windows shared printers or Apple
Bonjour shared printers, perhaps its a bug in Samba.