[OpenAFS] acrobat reader cannot save to AFS

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:00:17 -0500

--------------enig2EE3B22DF42C4E387ADEA620

On 2/7/2012 1:47 PM, Jonathan Nilsson wrote:
> Hello list,
>=20
> On Windows 7 Pro 64-bit clients with 1.7.4 or 1.7.5 (unknown about the
> behavior on earlier versions), we have started noticing that Acrobat
> Reader X 10.1.2 is unable to save PDFs to AFS. It simply fails silently=
=2E
> Saving to other network shares does work, and of course other
> applications can save files to AFS.

RT issue https://rt.central.org/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=3D130548 is mos=
likely related

> The use case is when a website or mail client opens a PDF with Reader
> and the user wants to do a File -> Save As -> PDF directly to an AFS
> share. For now the work around is to first download or save to the loca=
> desktop and drag-n-drop to AFS.
>=20
> I have a SysInternals Process Monitor capture of the AcroRd32.exe
> process, and I see things like this when it attempts to operate on a
> \\AFS\ path:
>=20
> Operation                      Result
> IRP_MJ_CREATE                  NAME NOT FOUND

Does the file exist?  What mode is the create?  In the logs I've viewed
as a part of 130548 the create mode is "open" which means only open the
file if it already exists.  If it doesn't already exist, the error will
correctly be NAME NOT FOUND.

> IRP_MJ_FILE_SYSTEM_CONTROL     INVALID DEVICE REQUEST  Control:
> FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO

FSCTL_LMR_QUERY_DEBUG_INFO is a Lan Manager specific FSCTL.  It is not
supported on any other file system.  Invalid Device Request is the
correct response.

> IRP_MJ_DIRECTORY_CONTROL       NO SUCH FILE

For what path?  What is the query mask that is being searched for?  Do
directory entries that match the mask exist?  In the logs I've examined
the file name being searched for is the same file name that was given to
the IRP_MJ_CREATE.  The file doesn't exist and therefore NO SUCH FILE is
the correct response.

> Anyone else seen symptoms like this? I can't tell if this is a bug in
> Acrobat Reader or if it is an AFS bug (the "invalid device request" see=
> suspicious). I can make the Process Monitor LogFile.pml available if
> that would help.

Since nothing is actually creating the file and the something that
should make an attempt to do so is Acrobat, I'm suspicious.  I'm not
pointing a finger since Acrobat clearly saves the file elsewhere but I
don't have enough data.