[OpenAFS] Re: cd: user: Connection timed out

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 17:31:02 -0600

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 18:18:29 -0500
"Dvorkin, Asya" <dvorkias@umdnj.edu> wrote:

> Thank you, Andrew.  Will it then recreate all user/*/* directories and

No, you need to do that yourself, if you didn't back up the 'user'
volume itself.

I assume you had a 'user' volume, and I assume that it's now gone. 'vos
listvl user' gives you information, but 'vos ex user' gives an error,
correct? (it'll say something like 'dump only information from vldb')

In that case, just 'vos delentry user' and then
'vos create <server> <part> user'. Then, from whatever client you're on,
cd to /afs/.<cell>/user and populate the contents as they were before.
(You may need to 'fs checkv' and 'fs flushm /afs/.<cell>/user' first for
that to work.)

If you had everything in one big directory, then just run 'fs mkmount'
in a loop to create the mountpoints. If you had intermediate
directories, then create those and the mountpoints, etc. If you had the
contents of 'user' replicated to different servers, run 'vos addsite'
for them, and release.

> I would manually put back all users?

User information is stored in a different place. If you can 'pts examine
<username>' for users, that's probably all still fine.

> What do you mean make sure it's actually gone?  Directory is totally
> empty…

Never mind that; you have the volume dumps so what I was saying there
doesn't apply.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net