[OpenAFS] fibre channel or 10GE

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:34:05 -0800

Sean <murray@tlabs.ac.za> writes:

> I have limited experience with recent high end san's is there any real
> advantage to fibre channel over 10GE with respect to afs performance
> (iscsi or fcoe, *not* nfs) ?

I really doubt AFS's storage usage profile will be any different than any
other disk-intensive service at that level.  I would go with whatever you
would use for any other disk-intensive service, such as a database server.

I personally doubt you're going to see significant performance differences
at the AFS level between FC and Ethernet, since I don't think the AFS
server is going to be able to saturate either channel.