[OpenAFS] OpenAFS 1.7.0600 does not seem to handle symbolic links correctly

Arthur Prokosch arthurp@csail.mit.edu
Mon, 13 Feb 2012 15:38:31 -0500

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:16:05AM -0500, Gary Coryer wrote:
> I installed the latest update (as of thursday last week) for OpenAFS
> 1.7.0600 last week on my windows 7 afs client.  Everything runs fine until
> I get to a symbolic link in my Linux file system.  The Windows 7 navigtor
> will not follow the symlink, it will not change directory from the command
> line either.

We've been testing the new version at CSAIL for the last couple days
and are about to push it out to more users, so I'd like to figure out
what's going on here.  I tested out in a freshly installed Windows 7
x64 VM with OpenAFS 1.7.0600.  I was able to follow all links I could
find (from my home directory to a group directory, absolute and
relative, from browsing \\afs paths and from mapped drives).  The only
way I could reproduce your symptoms was by destroying my AFS tokens
with "unlog".

How are you authenticating to AFS?  When this happens, what's the
output at a Command Prompt of the command
  tokens
?

What's the target of the symlink?  Is it also in /afs?  Could you try
and/or create other symlinks?

What version and architecture of Windows?  (For comparison, at
Computer > Properties, I see "Windows 7 Enterprise / Service Pack 1"
and "System type: 64-bit Operating System".)

> I have no
> trouble traversing the symlink on the linux client I use (don't believe
> Linux client is running open afs, I don't own that box, so that last was a
> statement that I do have file system permissions, not a difference in
> windows versus linux implementations).

In linux (and in windows actually), the command
  rxdebug localhost 7001 -version
should tell you what AFS client is running.

Please let me know what you find.
-arthur prokosch.
system administrator, MIT Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Lab.