[OpenAFS] OpenAFS client 1.7.201 and later triggers printing of smiley faces on all printers shared via Samba

Peter Dissing ped@es.aau.dk
Tue, 21 Feb 2012 14:04:05 +0100

--------------000200080706070403010101

On 2012-02-20 15:53, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> The log indicates a bug in Samba or the printer.
>
> The explorer shell extension is asking to open an existing file.  It
> is explicitly asking that the file not be created if it doesn't exist
> and yet Samba indicates that the file does exist and has been opened.
>
> Explorer.EXE    2544    CreateFile
> \\130.225.51.90\pr-c1-103-bw\_._AFS_IOCTL_._    SUCCESS
> Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File, Read
> Attributes, Synchronize,
> Disposition: Open,
> Attributes: n/a,
> ShareMode: Read,
> AllocationSize: n/a,
> OpenResult: Opened
>
> The AFS Pioctl request is then written to the open file and when it
> attempts to read the result it is told that reading is an
> INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST.
>
> A printer that permits writing files to the printer for the purpose of
> printing, faxing, etc. must only open a non-existing file if the
> CreateFile disposition is Create, Create_Always or Open_Always.
>
> I cannot tell for sure from this trace but I'm going to guess that the
> reason this behavior started with 1.7.2 is the addition of Icon
> Overlays for AFS mount points and symlinks.  The explorer shell
> extension issues an AFS pioctl to test whether the device is in AFS or
> not.
>
> Jeffrey Altman

Hi

Since its all our printers that is affected (multiple different types
and manufactures) we will look into the samba server.

If we find anything usefull, we will report back.

/Peter

--------------000200080706070403010101

  <head>
  </head>
      The log indicates a bug in Samba or the printer.<br>
      The explorer shell extension is asking to open an existing file.
      It is explicitly asking that the file not be created if it doesn't
      exist and yet Samba indicates that the file does exist and has
      been opened.<br>
      Explorer.EXE    2544    CreateFile
      \\130.225.51.90\pr-c1-103-bw\_._AFS_IOCTL_._    SUCCESS    <br>
      Desired Access: Read Data/List Directory, Write Data/Add File,
      Read Attributes, Synchronize, <br>
      Disposition: Open, <br>
      File, <br>
      Attributes: n/a, <br>
      ShareMode: Read, <br>
      AllocationSize: n/a, <br>
      OpenResult: Opened<br>
      The AFS Pioctl request is then written to the open file and when
      it attempts to read the result it is told that reading is an
      INVALID_DEVICE_REQUEST.<br>
      A printer that permits writing files to the printer for the
      purpose of printing, faxing, etc. must only open a non-existing
      file if the CreateFile disposition is Create, Create_Always or
      Open_Always.<br>
      I cannot tell for sure from this trace but I'm going to guess that
      the reason this behavior started with 1.7.2 is the addition of
      Icon Overlays for AFS mount points and symlinks.  The explorer
      shell extension issues an AFS pioctl to test whether the device is
      in AFS or not.<br>
      Jeffrey Altman<br>
    Hi <br>
    Since its all our printers that is affected (multiple different
    types and manufactures) we will look into the samba server. <br>
    If we find anything usefull, we will report back.<br>
    /Peter <br>

--------------000200080706070403010101--