[OpenAFS] Re: Best way to debug "Lost contact with file server"

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:38:04 +0100

On 29.02.2012 01:56, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Andrew Deason wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 02:51:48 -0800
>> Ken Elkabany <Ken@Elkabany.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Off-email question: If a volume has N read replicas, how do clients
>>> choose which one to use?
>>
>> By default, it's effectively random. Technically the client also takes
>> into account the ip addresses of the client and server to try and
>> estimate how "close" it is to each fileserver, but it does so using
>> antiquated classful addressing techniques and usually isn't very usefu=
l.

> Er, I would have thought that this would cause a group of clients
> deployed near each other to all prefer the same replica, which is not
> really "random". That is, though from the point of view of a single
> client the choice may be random, from the point of view of managing
> server load it is not. Is that incorrect?

IMHO on the windows client there is a serverprefs based on RTT. And that=20
is planned to go into linux client, to.

> -Ben

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=FCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723