[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS 1.6.0 with Microsoft Active Directory 2008 - Questions about DES

Jeff White jaw171@pitt.edu
Mon, 09 Jan 2012 11:05:45 -0500

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not sure what about short names would cause
problems but I recall hearing about that with AD before so I'll assume
it's just a weird thing/bug with Windows.  I originally created a logon
name of 'afs' not 'afs/pitt.edu' so ktpass or something changed it.  I
started over with an account named afs-pitt-edu-cell, exported the key,
imported the key, and of course it still has the DES error as expected.
Do you think the KdcUseRequestedEtypesForTickets registry change which I
can't implement without breaking everything as I mentioned before is why
DES is failing?  I can see in gpresult that DES should be allowed  and
the DES box is checked on the account so other than that or the
attributes Douglas Engert mentioned I don't know what could be wrong and
I'll have to admit defeat and give up.

C:\Users\jaw171.AFSDC-DEV>ktpass -princ afs/pitt.edu@PITT.EDU -mapuser
afs-pitt-
edu-cell -pass * -crypto DES-CBC-MD5 +rndpass /mapop add +desonly /ptype
KRB5_NT
_PRINCIPAL +dumpsalt -out afs-pitt-edu-cell.keytab
Targeting domain controller: AFSDC-DEV.pitt.edu
Using legacy password setting method
Successfully mapped afs/pitt.edu to afs-pitt-edu-cell.
Building salt with principalname afs/pitt.edu and domain PITT.EDU
(encryption ty
pe 3)...
Hashing password with salt "PITT.EDUafspitt.edu".
Key created.
Output keytab to afs-pitt-edu-cell.keytab:
Keytab version: 0x502
keysize 48 afs/pitt.edu@PITT.EDU ptype 1 (KRB5_NT_PRINCIPAL) vno 5 etype
0x3 (DE
S-CBC-MD5) keylength 8 (0x57100bd91a01155d)
Account afs-pitt-edu-cell has been set for DES-only encryption.

Jeff White - Linux/Unix Systems Engineer
University of Pittsburgh - CSSD