[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS 1.6.0 with Microsoft Active Directory 2008 - Questions about DES

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 09 Jan 2012 11:20:14 -0600

On 1/9/2012 10:05 AM, Jeff White wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what about short names would cause problems but I recall hearing about that with AD before so I'll assume it's just a weird thing/bug with Windows. I originally
> created a logon name of 'afs' not 'afs/pitt.edu' so ktpass or something changed it. I started over with an account named afs-pitt-edu-cell, exported the key, imported the key, and of course it still
> has the DES error as expected. Do you think the KdcUseRequestedEtypesForTickets registry change which I can't implement without breaking everything as I mentioned before is why DES is failing? I can
> see in gpresult that DES should be allowed and the DES box is checked on the account so other than that or the attributes Douglas Engert mentioned I don't know what could be wrong and I'll have to
> admit defeat and give up.
>
> C:\Users\jaw171.AFSDC-DEV>ktpass -princ afs/pitt.edu@PITT.EDU -mapuser afs-pitt-
> edu-cell -pass * -crypto DES-CBC-MD5 +rndpass /mapop add +desonly /ptype KRB5_NT
> _PRINCIPAL +dumpsalt -out afs-pitt-edu-cell.keytab

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753771(WS.10).aspx

You are specifying both -pass * and +ranpass This looks like it should be
a syntax error and ktpass may be doing something strange.

Did you then enter a password?

If you were to enter a password you could verify that AD has it
correct and that the keytab is correct,

kinit afs/pitt.edu@PITT.EDU
enter password,
should get a ticket verifying that AD has the password.

On unix create a dummy keytab to compare the keytab created by ktpass:
  ktutil

   addent -password -p afs/pitt.edu@PITT.EDU -kvno 1 -e DES-CBC-MD5
   wkt /tmp/dummy.keytab
   quit

klist -e -k -t -K /tmp/dummy.keytab
klist -e -k -t -K  ktapss.version.keytab