[OpenAFS] Re: kernel panics with 1.6.0 and 1.6.1pre2 on openindiana

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:59:39 -0600

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 10:34:45 -0800
"Logan O'Sullivan Bruns" <logan@gedanken.org> wrote:

> I'm setting up a couple of machines with OpenIndiana 151a. I'm adding
> them to an existing cell. The file server side is working pretty well.
> I had some problems with the salvager crashing which were fixed by
> updating from 1.6.0 to 1.6.1pre2 and occasional problems with deleting
> of extant clones not working properly which could be worked around.

I would like to hear more about this is any problems still exist. I have
trouble seeing what could be different between solaris and oi that would
cause server stuff to not work.

> However I haven't been been able to get the client side to run under
> load without a kernel panic.
[...]
> The general configuration is the same as I've used on a few solaris 10
> sparc systems with the 1.4.X series for a number of years. I'm not
> sure it is optimal but it has worked well for me. Basically a 2G ufs
> zvol for the cache with parameters like this:

A UFS zvol is the best way, yes.

> Any tips for workarounds or whether it is worth trying the latest
> source from git would be appreciated.

Probably not. I'm not aware of anyone trying to run openafs on
openindiana; I've been meaning to look into it and I have a vm
specifically for that ready to go... I just never got around to it. This
email has given me a reason to look at it again, though, so I may have a
better answer for you soon.

The head of the 1.4.x branch should have support for solaris 11, so if
you just want something else to try, it's not inconceivable that that
could be better. I don't expect it to be any different, though.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net