[OpenAFS] uss command deprecated

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@openafs.org
Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:14:15 -0500

On 1/26/2012 9:22 PM, Dan Scott wrote:
> It's not a big problem if it's removed, but doesn't uss remain useful
> as a migration/setup tool? Maybe the useful parts could be
> moved/merged with another utility?

uss performs three sets of operations.  It creates the Kerberos
principal in the kaserver database, it creates the user entry in
ptserver database, and permits construction of AFS volumes.

There are two directions that I can see 'uss' taking.  The first is that
the kaserver functionality is removed.  The assumption would be that the
Kerberos principal name is being created by some other tool.

A second direction would be to update the kaserver functionality with
support for automated Kerberos principal creation in Active Directory,
Heimdal and MIT.

Either direction is fine with me.  The first direction is obviously much
less work and would primarily involve removing code or performing the
kaserver bits only when a command line parameter indicates that it should.

Jeffrey Altman