[OpenAFS] Re: Transferring data from old server to new server

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:41:03 -0500

On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:22:25 +0300
Youssef Eldakar <youssefeldakar@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1.4.12+dfsg-3+ubuntu0.1. I am planning to replace this OpenAFS server
> with another one on another machine running Ubuntu 12.04, which comes
> with OpenAFS version 1.6.1-1. What's the simplest way to transfer the
> data over to the new server? Would just rsyncing /vicepa work?

As Lars mentions, using 'vos move' is often the "best" way; the way most
likely to not have problems. If you 'vos move' all of the data, make
sure to keep the old server on for at least 2 hours after everything has
moved before turning it off, so clients have a chance to notice that
their data has moved.

If you cannot or do not want to do that, yes, you can just rsync the
/vicep* directories (make sure you use -a). If you do that, you will
also want to sync the /var/lib/openafs/local directory (do _not_ do this
if you 'vos move' the data instead).

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net