[OpenAFS] Re: Setting Up OpenAFS on FreeBSD

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:57:14 -0400 (EDT)

---559023410-612565818-1340809034=:18441

012 at 04:47:10PM -0500 Quoting Andrew Deason (adeason@sinenomine.net):

>> I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone actually encounter that error
>> before. Keep in mind it may be possible you are encountering
>> BSD-specific bugs in OpenAFS, since I don't think modern AFS dbservers
>> on any BSD are very common. (Not that the servers should have much
>> platform-specific code in them...)
>
> I keep thinking that this looks like a portable (non platform-dependent)
> bootstrapping issue.

That is my suspicion as well.

> FWIW I run a combined (db+fs) server on 9.0 IA64. Haven't seen any of
> these problems, and have been running on FreeBSD since 6.something. I've,
> OTOH, got my cell running 6-7 years now, so have a lot of the
> bootstrapping out of the way.
>
> I do not, either, run the port, but am building manually. My ./configure:
>
> ./configure \
> =09--enable-namei-fileserver \
> =09--enable-largefile-filserver \
> =09--disable-pam \
> =09--enable-supergroups \
> =09--with-krb5-config=3D/usr/heimdal/bin/krb5-config \
> =09--disable-kernel-module \
> =09--prefix=3D/usr/local/openafs161 \
> =09--sysconfdir=3D/etc \
> =09--localstatedir=3D/var
>
> What I did may or may not be relevant, but I'd just like to state two thi=
ngs:

> * The FreeBSD port is being actively used. Do we need some resources to f=
acilitate
>  developement? (I'm thinking build slave)

There are build slave running 8.2 and 9.0, though perhaps it would be good=
=20
to have something running -current.

> * The FreeBSD platform, having ZFS, is IMNSHO an excellent choice for a f=
ile server.

> How far ahead is the client code on FreeBSD?

It works under light load, but I am pretty sure there are subtle lingering=
=20
issues, and it should not be considered production-ready.  Only memory=20
cache is available.
I have not been able to do any real development on it for perhaps six=20
months, since I was working on my Ph.D. dissertation; I am getting back=20
into things now (starting with getting support for newer FreeBSD=20
releases).

-Ben Kaduk
---559023410-612565818-1340809034=:18441--