[OpenAFS] Re: Setting Up OpenAFS on FreeBSD

Tim Gustafson tjg@soe.ucsc.edu
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 09:50:14 -0700

>> * The FreeBSD platform, having ZFS, is IMNSHO an excellent choice for a
>> file server.
>>
>> How far ahead is the client code on FreeBSD?

> It works under light load, but I am pretty sure there are subtle lingerin=
> issues, and it should not be considered production-ready. =C2=A0Only memo=
ry cache
> is available.

Are your comments about "light load" related to ZFS or OpenAFS?

We're got several heavy-usage FreeBSD servers running 8.2 or 9.0 that
have ZFS file partitions and are humming along nicely, for what it's
worth.  I'm looking in to AFS because we need Kerberized file
services, and all our client OSs support OpenAFS, whereas they do
*not* all support Kerberized NFSv4.

--=20

Tim Gustafson
tjg@soe.ucsc.edu