[OpenAFS] Re: OpenAFS services startup

Danko Antolovic dantolov@indiana.edu
Thu, 01 Mar 2012 17:58:48 -0500

RPM installs occasionally fail because of kernel versions, incompatible
architecture and what not. In such cases, source build is usually
considered the preferred fallback.

OpenAFS documentation already branches out to different Unix flavors in
one or two places, so there is precedent for documenting OS-specific
things. A startup service typically consists of placing the right script
in init.d, a config file in /etc/sysconfig, and placing whatever modules
the script invokes in the proper places. The latter are presumably built
already, if the system is to work at all. It would not seem too onerous
to me to have these few steps spelled out in the docs, as part of the
configuration process. Thanks.