[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Dan Scott danieljamesscott@gmail.com
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:05:33 -0500

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 14:57, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 14:44:28 -0500
> Dan Scott <danieljamesscott@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to have a 'fallback' directory for @sys? i.e. If
>> amd64_linux32 doesn't exist, then it should use the amd64_linux31
>> directory instead. Or maybe we can have a amd64_linux3 sysname for all
>> 3.x linux kernels?
>
> 'fs sysname'. You can set this to anything you want, including multiple
> values.

Thanks. So it should 'fallback' by default? Would be nice if there was
a default amd64_linux3 though... :)

>> I can see the advantages of having different names for 2.4,2.6 and 3.
>> kernels, but do we really need a new sysname every 3 months or so?
>
> I thought we did keep the *_linux26 sysname, since there are no
> significant technical differences between 2.6 vs 3.* so far. What
> version and packaging, etc are we talking about here?

This is on Fedora 16+RPMFusion:

djscott@n6:~$ fs sysname
Current sysname list is 'amd64_fedora_16' 'amd64_linux32'

I don't know if the default sysname comes from upstream OpenAFS or if
it's set in the RPMFusion packages.

Thanks,

Dan