[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:18:24 -0500

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:57:10 -0600
Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:

> I thought we did keep the *_linux26 sysname, since there are no
> significant technical differences between 2.6 vs 3.* so far. What
> version and packaging, etc are we talking about here?

the redhat packaging appears to have some magic to provide custom
sysnames, from openafs.spec

case %{_arch} in
       x86_64)                         sysname=amd64_linux${kv}        ;;
       alpha*)                         sysname=alpha_linux_${kv}       ;;
       i386|i486|i586|i686|athlon)     sysname=i386_linux${kv}         ;;
       *)                              sysname=%{_arch}_linux${kv}     ;;
esac

and later

./configure --with-afs-sysname=${sysname} \

as i recall, the sysname was supposed to indicate the kernel/user abi
but that didnt work out quite right.  there are so many distros with
varying levels of compatibility, @sys is almost useless anyway though.
really, your afs startup script should set sysname to something
meaningful in your linux environment.