[OpenAFS] Re: sysname for 3.x linux kernel

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 8 Mar 2012 15:11:47 -0600

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:42:13 -0700
Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> I'm a maintainer at RPM Fusion along with Jack, and I'd be fine with
> setting ${_ARCH}_linux26 as an additional fallback. Will this work?

If you want to handle the full range of application versions, you can do
what the OpenAFS build process does, and specifically map 2.2.* -> 22,
2.4.* -> 24, and 2.6.*|3.* -> 26, but you probably don't need to be so
general.

A solution that may require fewer tweaks in the future in general is to
extract the existing sysname list and just add entries in front of it.
Or just add the output from `livesys` at the end, instead of trying to
calculate it yourself.

> I am curious when OpenAFS will actually going to move their Linux
> sysname to linux3 :-)

I can't speak for what OpenAFS will do, but I was assuming the answer
was... "never", at least if things keep doing the way they are.  The
2.6<->3.0 version boundary is not a useful distinction. I mean, you
might as well have amd64_linux26_19, amd64_linux26_20, amd64_linux26_21,
etc.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net