[OpenAFS] WAN speed

Atro Tossavainen openafs@atrotossavainen.fi
Thu, 22 Mar 2012 01:57:26 +0200

> I've tried to address this with faster DNS, installing BIND etc,

Which part of AFS is dependent on DNS in any way?  I didn't think it was.

> no notable improvement. Is this especially critical with OpenAFS, or
> possibly when transferring a high number of small files (like Firefox
> writing things to HD?).

If I'm not totally mistaken, the sqlite databases are Firefox' main
weak point in this respect.  It's not that it's writing a large number
of small files (as would be the case if you allowed it to cache on disk,
and used a directory on AFS to do it; you can just disable the cache),
it's that it is writing to those databases all the time.

Best regards, Atro