[OpenAFS] WAN speed

Thomas Smith theitsmith@ThomasSmith.info
Wed, 21 Mar 2012 17:20:29 -0700

On Mar 21, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Atro Tossavainen wrote:

>> I've tried to address this with faster DNS, installing BIND etc,
>=20
> Which part of AFS is dependent on DNS in any way?  I didn't think it =
was.

CellServDB can be put in DNS (for database server lookups).

Also, I believe AFS will use DNS for some functions. I've seen =
situations where having the servers listed in CellServDB still didn't =
allow AFS clients to perform some commands, such as moving volumes or =
adding users. It wasn't until DNS was fixed (or entries added to the =
hosts file) that things worked as expected.=