[OpenAFS] Windows 7 64 bit OpenAFS: pr_SNameToId not responding`

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:34:55 -0400

--------------enigFE96F80532DDB74926018B51

On 3/27/2012 5:30 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> I have a student here at UWM who can run NIM and/or aklog and
> get tokens (albeit VERY SLOWLY) but cannot access \\afs\cs.uwm.edu
> (although they CAN access \\afs\openafs.org).  When they
> try to access \\afs\cs.uwm.edu, Windows gives the error:
> 	\\AFS\cs.uwm.edu is not accessible.  You might
> 	not have permission to use this resource ...
> 	The local device name is already in use.

The "local device name is already in use" message is a bug in the
Windows 7 Explorer Shell.   The only part that matters is
\\afs\cs.uwm.edu\ is not accessible.   When the share is not accessible
the Explorer attempts to reconnect the device but when that fails to
make it difference the Explorer forgets to restore the original error.

> Possibly related, using "aklog -d" apparently times out
> after a long pause, printing
> 	ps_SNameToId Error server or network not responding
> before completing successfully (?)
> Network Identity Manager similarly is able to get AFS tokens
> after a LONG wait.

Port 7005/udp is blocked by a firewall somewhere.   Perhaps all of the
AFS ports are blocked.

> "net use" shows a drive mapping of \\afs\cs.uwm.edu to z:=20
> (we can't figure out why it's there)

Its there because someone established a drive mapping to it.

> but "net use z: /delete" says the network connection could not be found=
=2E
>=20
> net view z:
> gives system error 123.

On what "Network"?  "OpenAFS Network" or "Microsoft Windows Network".
What is the actual output from NET USE?

> We've tried rebooting and reinstalling NIM and OpenAFS to no avail.

The problem isn't in NIM or OpenAFS.  Reinstalling is not going to make
a difference.