[OpenAFS] Re: Installation of OpenAFS on Ubuntu 11.10

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:17:30 -0500

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:51:51 +0200
Lars Schimmer <l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at> wrote:

> > The installation is just for writing codes later and I don't need to
> > care much about the security, kaserver is simpler to test.
>
> If thats the case, please use a stable, working installation with
> potential for future use.
> Which will be a working 1.6.1pre4 or trunk.
> And kerberos 5 and no more kaserver.

Actually, if you don't need any security at all, you may be able to get
by without kaserver or a krb5 kdc. If you start bosserver with -noauth,
and 'bos addkey' some random key, I think you'll still be able to run
stuff. Then everything you run will either be entirely unauthenticated,
or will be run as a superuser with -localauth.

I don't think I've ever tried that, but I think it would work. If you
never run 'klog' or 'aklog', etc, you don't really need a kdc.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net