[OpenAFS] Combo DB + file servers

Lars Schimmer l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:25:31 +0200

On 29.03.2012 21:05, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 14:59, Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net
> <mailto:jblaine@kickflop.net>> wrote:
>=20
>     Perhaps someone can jog my memory :)
>=20
>     Remind me why it was the right thing to do when I separated
>     all DB server functionality from fileserver functionality
>     9 years ago?
>=20
>=20
> That used to be recommended because you might need to be able to move
> fileservers around easily, but dbservers (in particular the lowest
> numbered server) are harder to move around.  SRV records help somewhat
> with the dbserver issue, but you still need to use care with respect to
> that lowest numbered dbserver to avoid losing the sync site.

We do run 3 fs/db servers for 6 years now, changed IPs ones and restart
them once in a while.
I never cared about lowest IP  or sync site, and cell still works fine,
never had problems with syncing DBs at all.
So far: combine them, no problem at all.

> --=20
> brandon s allbery                                   =20
>  allbery.b@gmail.com <mailto:allbery.b@gmail.com>
> wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364 vm/=
sms
>=20

MfG,
Lars Schimmer
--=20
TU Graz, Institut f=C3=BCr ComputerGraphik & WissensVisualisierung
Tel: +43 316 873-5405       E-Mail: l.schimmer@cgv.tugraz.at
Fax: +43 316 873-5402       PGP-Key-ID: 0x4A9B1723