[OpenAFS] Re: Combo DB + file servers

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 17:06:13 -0500

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:59:59 -0400
Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> wrote:

> Remind me why it was the right thing to do when I separated all DB
> server functionality from fileserver functionality 9 years ago?

You can move what machines the fileservers are on nearly without
penalty, but they need disk to store stuff and a bit of other resources.
dbservers need to not move (IPs) frequently, but you could run them on a
toaster (performance-wise) for most cells. A lot of the time that means
different machines, but it doesn't need to.

You can also argue this from the point of view of the dbservers often
being more critical than fileservers. So, for things like isolating them
from machine-wide outages, having them on different upgrade cycles, or
maybe even being managed by different groups of people, having separate
boxes may be better. But I think that depends far more on the specific
environment.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net