[OpenAFS] What does "data integrity" do?

Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:03:00 -0400

--------------enig64E13CE52B48147A564ACA61

On 3/30/2012 6:54 AM, Thomas Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I'm looking at disabling crypt on all of my Windows clients and noticed=
 that there's an extra option for them, versus *nix clients--auth.
>=20
> With auth enabled, 'fs getcrypt' indicates that the security level is "=
data integrity". I wasn't able to find any information about what this me=
ans in the docs at the website nor in the release notes of the client (1.=
7.8).
>=20
> Can someone explain what this setting does please? Just wondering if it=
's encrypting communications while acquiring tokens ('auth') or providing=
 some kind of integrity checks to help avoid or catch data corruption ('d=
ata integrity') or something else entirely.
>=20
> Thank you,
>=20
> ~ Tom

The "fs setcrypt" options are "off, auth, on".

  off is no protection

  auth is data integrity protection

  on is data security protection (all traffic encrypted)