[OpenAFS] 1.7.8 UNC path issues

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 18:00:24 -0400

--------------enig42374BE3905EE23D67695761

On 3/31/2012 4:37 PM, Thomas Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> We're in the process of deploying the 1.7.8 client (with IFS) to all of=
 our workstations, some are upgrades from 1.5.x and some are new installs=
=2E We've noticed a problem with using UNC paths on both Windows XP Pro a=
nd Windows 7 Pro. This problem presents itself in slightly different ways=
 between the two Windows version but is consistent and occurs on every si=
ngle machine. Here's description of the problem...
>=20
> Windows XP Pro
> Users are seeing delays when browsing AFS via UNC paths--that is, they =
browse to AFS and it will take, typically, 5 to 10 seconds before they ca=
n click on anything in a given directory or change to another directory o=
r open a file, etc.
>=20
> Windows 7 Pro
> When right-clicking in Windows Explorer, when viewing the AFS file spac=
e via UNC, to, for example, create a new folder, there's about a 10 secon=
d delay before the menu comes up to allow selecting the option to create =
a folder or file.
>=20
> When performing both of these operations on a network drive mapped to a=
n AFS cell, the problems are not present--everything works as expected.
>=20
> Might this be something with our configuration or is this possibly a bu=
g in 1.7.8? Please let me know if I can provide any additional informatio=
n and I will.
>=20
> Thank you,
>=20
> ~ Tom_

If you Wireshark you will find Windows performing a network browse for
the "AFS" netbios name.  The fact that Explorer is triggering this
search when the "AFS" name is registered with the Multiple UNC Provider
is a bug in Windows.   It doesn't happen in all environments and I don't
have a workaround.

Someone with a support contract with Microsoft and a willingness to pay
the root cause investigation expenses is welcome to open a support
incident with them.

Jeffrey Altman