[OpenAFS] 1.7.8 UNC path issues

Thomas Smith theitsmith@gmail.com
Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:37:38 -0700

Hi,

We're in the process of deploying the 1.7.8 client (with IFS) to all of =
our workstations, some are upgrades from 1.5.x and some are new =
installs. We've noticed a problem with using UNC paths on both Windows =
XP Pro and Windows 7 Pro. This problem presents itself in slightly =
different ways between the two Windows version but is consistent and =
occurs on every single machine. Here's description of the problem...

Windows XP Pro
Users are seeing delays when browsing AFS via UNC paths--that is, they =
browse to AFS and it will take, typically, 5 to 10 seconds before they =
can click on anything in a given directory or change to another =
directory or open a file, etc.

Windows 7 Pro
When right-clicking in Windows Explorer, when viewing the AFS file space =
via UNC, to, for example, create a new folder, there's about a 10 second =
delay before the menu comes up to allow selecting the option to create a =
folder or file.

When performing both of these operations on a network drive mapped to an =
AFS cell, the problems are not present--everything works as expected.

Might this be something with our configuration or is this possibly a bug =
in 1.7.8? Please let me know if I can provide any additional information =
and I will.

Thank you,

~ Tom=