[OpenAFS] Swedish characters in AFS, files created in Windows cannot be used in Mac OS X

Mon, 21 May 2012 16:40:29 -0400

--------------enig5BCF1DE0811174C848801D2B

On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:25:41 PM, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
> Mac OS X  is not UNIX in this case. Applications start working by doing=
 this.

> This is as apple recommends:
> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1173/_index.html

Yet, Apple does not apply these recommendations to the Apple NFS=20
implementation
for exactly the same reasons as I described.  Personally I have no=20
issue with assuming that
OSX always produces UTF-8.   I would like the conversion to always=20
store the file names
in pre-composed form.  It is important to  be able to handle the cases=20
where the path
components read from the file server are not UTF-8 in any form or=20
contain illegal
character sequences.

While I personally have no objection, there were very strong objections=20
from the
AFS user community back in 2008 when this subject was most recently=20
debated.
The conclusion at the time was that the existing directory interfaces=20
are arbitrary
octet strings but in the future a new set of directory manipulation=20
RPCs could be
created that require pre-composed UTF-8.

Jeffrey Altman