[OpenAFS] Swedish characters in AFS, files created in Windows cannot be used in Mac OS X

Mattias Pantzare pantzer@ludd.ltu.se
Mon, 21 May 2012 22:53:53 +0200

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Jeffrey Altman
<jaltman@secure-endpoints.com> wrote:
> On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:25:41 PM, Mattias Pantzare wrote:
>> Mac OS X =A0is not UNIX in this case. Applications start working by doin=
g this.

>> This is as apple recommends:
>> https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#qa/qa1173/_index.html
>
> Yet, Apple does not apply these recommendations to the Apple NFS
> implementation
> for exactly the same reasons as I described. =A0Personally I have no
> issue with assuming that
> OSX always produces UTF-8. =A0 I would like the conversion to always
> store the file names
> in pre-composed form. =A0It is important to =A0be able to handle the case=
> where the path
> components read from the file server are not UTF-8 in any form or
> contain illegal
> character sequences.
>
> While I personally have no objection, there were very strong objections
> from the
> AFS user community back in 2008 when this subject was most recently
> debated.
> The conclusion at the time was that the existing directory interfaces
> are arbitrary
> octet strings but in the future a new set of directory manipulation
> RPCs could be
> created that require pre-composed UTF-8.

Well, we need a working filesystem that works when the clients use
different operating system. Ether we fix this or stop using AFS.

The windows client is already assuming UTF-8 so the decision has
already been made for all other clients. Unix is moving to UTF-8. The
only real problem now is OS X. I realy do not think that there will be
more problems caused that solved.