[OpenAFS] Initial configuring openafs server: got some obscured errors

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Mon, 28 May 2012 10:25:03 -0400

--------------enig261A28339F1F031CB3BFD3D8

On 5/28/2012 9:46 AM, ayvango wrote:
>=20
> ---- On Fri, 25 May 2012 05:15:17 -0700 Derrick Brashear  wrote ----=20
>=20
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM, ayvango  wrote:=20
>=20
>>> The documentation on the official site seemed to be outdated,=20
>>
>> It's still correct.=20
>=20

Can you be more specific regarding which documentation you are referring
to?  http://docs.openafs.org/ provides:

 * Reference Manual
   http://docs.openafs.org/Reference/index

 * UNIX Quick Start Guide
   http://docs.openafs.org/QuickStartUnix/index.html

 * Administration Guide
   http://docs.openafs.org/AdminGuide/index.html

 * User Guide
   http://docs.openafs.org/UserGuide/index.html

> It recommends to use klog instead of aklog that is considered obsolete.=
=20

Can you point out which of the above guides is out of date?  Or are you
referring to something else?

> What degree I can rely on this document to?
> It states average uptime is 2 weeks due to memory leakage.

It used to be that AFS servers were configured to automatically restart
each Sunday.  This is no longer required.   The uptime of many publicly
available servers is more than a year.   Memory leaks should be a thing
of the past.  Where is this reference?

> Is it still persist on modern AFS realizations?
> Do they retain 22 symbols on volumes 8 symbols on usernames limitations=
?

Volume names are still short.

Where did you find a reference to user names being 8 octets?

> Do unicode characters count as two?

UNICODE when stored in a filesystem is encoded using UTF-8.  The number
of octets required to store a UNICODE character as UTF-8 varies from one
to four depending on the numeric value associated with the character.

Jeffrey Altman