[OpenAFS] [workaround] NFS export oddness

Timothy Balcer timothy@telmate.com
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:31:31 -0700

--047d7b6d9340df095204cd7841d1

I found a workaround for now.. I hope it finds some use amongst the
community, assuming the linux NFS translator really isn't working properly
(as seems to be intimated in the emails I recently found)

You can use unionfs with an afs volume and a normal volume, and then NFS
export THAT unionfs directory, at which point the files will be accessible.
So if you just want to export afs via nfs, you can unionfs it with an empty
directory, and then NFS export that one.

so for example

unionfs-fuse /afs/foo.com/home/bar:/empty /test

and in /etc/exports

/test *(options)

This works for read.. I haven't tested for write.

So what I am going to do is have my application write to the local volume,
and have a process flush that directory to the afs volume from time to
time. The unionfs volume won't change at all, and will present a uniform
appearance.

I'm still interested in NFS translation though. This would be a securoty
problem if the IPs were not entirely sequestered.

--047d7b6d9340df095204cd7841d1

I found a workaround for now.. I hope it finds some use amongst the communi=
ty, assuming the linux NFS translator really isn't working properly (as=
 seems to be intimated in the emails I recently found)<br><br>You can use u=
nionfs with an afs volume and a normal volume, and then NFS export THAT uni=
onfs directory, at which point the files will be accessible. So if you just=
 want to export afs via nfs, you can unionfs it with an empty directory, an=
d then NFS export that one.<br>
 write.<br>
me, and have a process flush that directory to the afs volume from time to =
time. The unionfs volume won&#39;t change at all, and will present a unifor=
m appearance.<br>
uroty problem if the IPs were not entirely sequestered.<br>

--047d7b6d9340df095204cd7841d1--