[OpenAFS] Re: NFS export oddness

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2012 11:30:18 -0400

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Nov 2012 15:59:13 -0700
> Timothy Balcer <timothy@telmate.com> wrote:
>
>> unfortunately, when I try to export the /afs volume, I get this:
>>
>> exportfs: /afs does not support NFS export
>>
>> and when I do the explicit fs exportafs nfs command, I get this:
>>
>> Sorry, the nfs-exporter type is currently not supported on this AFS
>> client
>
> The NFS xlator is not built by default on Linux. The interfaces we need
> to use to enable that functionality are no longer available to us as of
> kernel 2.6.29 (according to Marc :). If you want to try to build it on a
> kernel before then, you can edit src/config/param.linux26.h, remove the
> lines that define AFS_NONFSTRANS, and try to build it again. It may or
> may not work. (If you really want the kernel xlator to work, you can
> also try older OpenAFS client versions if that doesn't work.)

Some of the GPL issues have changed since (d_obtain_alias is no longer
GPL only), but last time I checked a few years ago there were still
sunrpc and maybe other functions that were still off limits.

For newer kernels, it's also very likely that this code has bit-rotted
and needs some TLC before it will compile and run, since it's been
excluded from the build for a long time.

Marc