[OpenAFS] 1.4.x, select() and recent RHEL kernels beware

Dan Van Der Ster daniel.vanderster@cern.ch
Fri, 9 Nov 2012 10:29:13 +0000

On Nov 8, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
>> Note that 1.6 and beyond is safe from this RHEL kernel change since
>> Simon already patched fssync to use poll() 5 years ago ;)=20
>=20
> That's not true; the code was written to use poll() but was not enabled
> until very recently. I don't think there is any current release that
> does this the way Linux wants.
>=20

Thanks for this heads-up. I've updated our short report.

BTW, in fssync and salvsync and a couple other places in the code we see:
    #define FD_SETSIZE 65536

Naive question=85 would an alternative "fix" here be to do something like:

#ifdef LINUX
    #define FD_SETSIZE 1024
#endif

then AFS would work independent of the ulimit, (at least until select() is =
removed everywhere)?

Cheers, Dan