[OpenAFS] Cache partition choice still limited to ext2 on Linux?

Timothy Balcer timothy@telmate.com
Sat, 10 Nov 2012 12:02:56 -0800

ext4 is extremely fast with journalling turned off.. even faster than
ext2. For an AFS cache, that would seem to be the ticket.

You can disable it on the filesystem itself with tune2fs,

# Delete has_journal option
tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sda10

# Required fsck
e2fsck -f /dev/sda10

You can also use some mount options to help speed:

noatime,data=writeback,barrier=0,nobh,errors=remount-ro

Each of these has consequences, so it would be really advised to not
use any of it unless you are mounting the AFS cache on its own
partition or on a loopback device, because you definitely don't want a
partition configured like this if it has anything valuable in it. :-)

--
Timothy Balcer / IT Services
Telmate / San Francisco, CA