[OpenAFS] Major synchronization error

Jack Hill jackhill@jackhill.us
Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:02:11 -0500

--Sig_//dCEEW57KAwClR=nd1Jft_Q

Hello,

Today when I was creating a user in the pt database when I received a
"major synchronization error" message.

The steps that I took:
0) pts createuser foo
1) see error "major synchronization error ; unable to create user foo
with id 42"
2) Trying to add foo to groups with pts adduser foo groupname fails.
3) Steps 0-2 were done in quick succession via a script. I manually ran
pts examine foo, and everything appeared fine.
4) I could add the user to groups manually with pts adduser.
5) I tried to create another user, bar, outside of the script to confirm
that everything is okay (pts createuser bar).
6) This fails with "database is inconsistent ; unable to create bar"
7) I tried restarting all the ptserver processes (bos restart
machine.domain.tld ptserver), but that did not change anything.
8) I can still add and remove users from groups, but I cannot create
them.

This is with openafs 1.4.6. (yes, I am embarrassed at how old that is,
but I have other work to do and can't get them upgraded overnight.) In
my Internet search I was only able to find this [0]. All of our
CellServDB are in sync. Ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Jack

[0]
https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2006-May/022665.html

--Sig_//dCEEW57KAwClR=nd1Jft_Q