[OpenAFS] Re: Major synchronization error

Todd Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Tue, 13 Nov 2012 13:48:36 -0500

On 11/13/2012 11:53 AM, Jack Hill sent:

> Please ignore this; is was user error. I can create users if I specify
> there id. I cannot let the ptserver choose it since our current maxid is
> 2147483647.

Back before Linux could handle uids > 64k, we recycled pts ids. We had a
simple Perl daemon that would look at the allocated pts ids on startup,
then in response to requests would hand back numbers in order
corresponding to the holes between some arbitrary low (I think 1000) and
64k-2. This allowed us to keep our uids below 64k until Linux grew up.
You're welcome to that code if you want it.

Second point: I'm pretty sure that the pts maxid is just a number that
would be better called "nextid". It isn't necessarily the highest id
number in your pt db. I think we ran into this at one point, though you
are in a better position to try it than I am as your maxid is basically
useless at this point.

Anyway, I believe you can set your maxid (pts setmax ###) to some lower
number, and createuser will attempt to use unused numbers starting at that
point going upward. Try setting it to, say, your pts id, then attempt to
create a dummy pts entry. You may be pleasantly surprised. Or you may find
I'm wrong. Either way, let us know what you find!

Good luck,
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu  919-445-0091  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /    "They never open their mouths without subtracting from    /
 /      the sum of human knowledge" - Thomas Brackett Reed      /