[OpenAFS] managing BosConfig in Puppet

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 10:15:52 -0800

Jeff Blaine <jblaine@kickflop.net> writes:
> On 11/16/2012 6:23 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> Puppet is primarily a tool for deploying the initial version of the file.

> I disagree. Perhaps I misunderstand you, but using puppet like scp is
> missing the point really.

I meant only in the context of how we use it for OpenAFS servers, since
we've never needed anything more complex there.  We use Puppet to do all
sorts of interesting things elsewhere, but our BosConfig files have
changed maybe five times in 15 years.

I will say, though, that a lot of Puppet setups that I've seen are what I
consider to be overkill.  Premature generalization is not a good idea in
any programming language.  You don't want to add unnecessary complexity
when you don't actually need the power of templating.