[OpenAFS] Re: Failure to build OpenAFS 1.6.1a

Derrick Brashear shadow@gmail.com
Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:51:18 -0400

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Andrew Deason <adeason@sinenomine.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 20:50:59 -0500
> "Michael D. Norwick" <mnorwick@centurytel.net> wrote:
>
>> Thank You for the responses.  I had installed the Heimdal slackpkg
>> from SlackBuild.org for Slackware 13.37, but I took it off using
>> 'removepkg' after the first time the OpenAFS build failed.
>
> The build failing with heimdal installed is something I can reproduce.
> What I believe is happening is that libkrb5 is something we can pick up
> without any extra flags (e.g. /usr/lib64/), but krb5.h is somewhere else
> (/usr/heimdal/include).
>
> We may want to try probing /usr/heimdal/bin/krb5-config in the krb5
> configure logic. We also probably need to do better about detecting the
> proper header vs detecting libraries, apparently... (I haven't looked at
> this in detail, maybe this is better in master or something)

All of this detection is in m4 files we import from rra-c-util. They're not
perfect: the krb5 version knows what it expects to find. But on master
there's a never version (iirc anyway) than 1.6 has.

>> I then installed krb-1.7.1 using the slackpkg while troubleshooting
>> the OpenAFS build.  I had some directories in /usr/lib and /var
>> labeled heimdal but I deleted them and tried ./configure straight up
>> without any switches.  The build just failed again.  I might have to
>> bork the whole system and start from scratch.
>
> Okay; can you provide config.log, or look around config.log for the
> lines I mentioned before? I assume it's just heimdal bits being left
> around, but it may be helpful to see.
>
> In general, though, I would suggest setting KRB5_CONFIG to the
> krb5-config script, rather than fiddling with the configure options.
> That should just be more likely to work, even if I'm not sure why it's
> failing now.

in the newest krb5.m4, it's PATH_KRB5_CONFIG.

--
Derrick