[OpenAFS] Problems in openafs paradise.

Christof Hanke christof.hanke@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 07:22:38 +0200

Am Wed, 17 Oct 2012 20:12:12 -0400
schrieb John Tobin <jtobin@po-box.esu.edu>:

> Dear Openafs.
>=20
> I am a relative new user of openafs.
> I am trying to set up openafs-1.6.1 under a suse 12.1.
>=20
> I initially tried to use an old suse readme file to install, that
> failed miserably.
>=20
> So I went to the quick start guide.
> I have setup ntp with a local server.
> I have installed all of the SUSE 12.1 openafs-blah-blah.rpms  except
> the kmp stuff... There are choices there: which one do I use?
> Openafs-kmp-: mit, pae, xen desktop, default, I assume this is a
> choice, they all don=C2=B9t go on do they?

SuSE comes with different flavours of kernels, depending on what kind of
machine you are running.
On my laptop it is eg. "desktop"

hanke@dijon:~> uname -r
3.4.6-2.10-desktop

But anyway, you can install multiple kmod-rpms (as you also can
install multiple flavours).

>=20
> I notice the kerberos is mit.
yes.
>=20
> I installed: rpm =C2=ADU openafs-repository.1.6.1noarch.rpm and I assume
> that installing that changes the file and makes it so the modprobe
> program will start the loadable modules required. If not, where is
> the documentation for what the mods are?

=20
Hmm, maybe I should add a dependency on the rpms...

> I assume it would be easiest to use Russ Allbery=C2=B9s =C2=B3pam-afs-ser=
ver2.5
> code, so I downloaded that config=C2=B9d it, ran make, check, and make
> install. The documentation is about debian, and Red Hat, any hints on
> SUSE?

See http://www.rzg.mpg.de/networkservices/configuring-your-pc
for how to configure this, it is not SuSE-specific, but should be
understandable.

>=20
> Does anyone have this running under SUSE 12.1 [it sounds like it from
> the documentation...]?
yes, I do. Feel free to ask more questions.

>=20
> tob

T/Christof