[OpenAFS] rxgk development has been funded

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:48:17 -0400 (EDT)

Dear all,

I wanted to give a heads-up that MIT has funded me to work on implementing
rxgk for OpenAFS.  MIT is committed to AFS as part of our basic
infrastructure, and we recognize that the current DES-based security class
in OpenAFS is aging rapidly. Implementing the new GSSAPI-based rxgk will
help us meet our own needs, and also help the community at large to
modernize their own deployments.

This is a long-term project, we expect it to take about a year to run to
completion.  There won't be much to look at or try out in the first
months, but we will call for testers when we're ready for them.

The work will of course need to progress through consensus of the
afs3-standardization group and my first steps will be reviving discussion
there. ( http://lists.openafs.org/mailman/listinfo/afs3-standardization )

Hopefully knowing that there is work in progress will be reassuring to
many who would otherwise worry about the future of OpenAFS.

-Ben Kaduk