[OpenAFS] ktc 7 error on Openafs 1.7.17 on Windows 6 2005 (64 bit)

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Fri, 07 Sep 2012 14:33:18 -0400

--------------enig8740F894214898CD74990D7E

On 9/7/2012 2:06 PM, John Tang Boyland wrote:
> Yes.  I agree.  It's NIM that falls back to openafs.org, it seems
> (even if openafs was installed with cell cs.uwm.edu).
> (I'm not completely sure, perhaps students are misinstalling openafs to=
o.)

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TransarcAFSDaemon\Parameters

  "Cell" REG_SZ

specifies the workstation cell name which is imported as a default into
NIM's configuration for the Network Identity when it is created.  After
creating the identity, you must alter the AFS cells for which tokens
should be obtained from within NIM.

> ] > but I was surprised to see someone still getting "ktc 7" error when=

> ] > using aklog.
> ] >=3D20
> ] > Network Identity Manager is able to get credentials and AFS tokens =
(alb=3D
> ] eit
> ] > with a LONG delay).
> ]=20
> ] But these tokens are not visible to "tokens.exe"?   What is wrong wit=
> ] these tokens?
>=20
>> tokens
>=20
> Tokens held by the Cache Manager
>=20
> AFS Device may not have been started.
>=20
> My guess is (since AFS is accessible without tokens, i.e. with
> system:anyuser) that the cache manager is running but it cannot be
> communicated with.

"AFS Device may not have been started" is an indication that the service
is most likely not running.

> ] > kinit works fine.  aklog works until the
> ] > very last step, when it gets unknown error (ktc 7).
> ]=20
> ] What is the output of "aklog -d"?
>=20
>> aklog -d -c cs.uwm.edu
> Authenticating to cell cs.uwm.edu.
> Getting v5 tickets: afs/cs.uwm.edu@CS.UWM.EDU
> About to resolve name xxxx@CS.UWM.EDU to id
> Id NNNNN
> Set username to xxxx@CS.UWM.EDU
> Getting tokens.
> aklog: Unknown code ktc 7 (11862791) while obtaining tokens for cell cs=
=2Euwm.edu
>=20
> ] > With the setup, we able to access \\afs\cs.uwm.edu\users\classes
> ] > but not able to access the actual class, almost certainly
> ] > because up to this point requires no tokens, but
> ] > tokens are required to get into the class.
> ] >=3D20
> ] > It seems that OpenAFS is running and NIM/Kerberos are running fine,=

> ] > but it is not possible to get the tokens from NIM to openafs.
> ] >=3D20
> ] > I tried:
> ] > 	net view \\afs
> ] > and got the error
> ] > 	'net' is not known as a command, batch file, ...
> ]=20
> ] net.exe is a Windows provided tool located in c:\windows\system32.
> ] If you cannot find net.exe, something is wrong with the PATH on the
> ] system in question.
>=20
> Yes, something (unrelated NIM/KfW/AFS) seems to be wrong with the
> system.

Which is possibly why the service isn't running.

Jeffrey Altman