[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:07:48 -0700

David Boyes <dboyes@sinenomine.net> writes:

> There have been several discussions in the past on using a meta-build
> system like cmake or similar to try to address this, or at least using
> the packaging components. Some reorganization of the build process would
> probably be desirable to really take advantage of that, but I can't say
> that that would be unwelcome. The current setup is awfully clunky, and
> the meta-build system would allow generation of different types of
> packages from the same source (at least with cpack, you can generate
> RPM, .deb, Solaris, AIX and Windows packages fairly easily from the same
> packaging description file).

Just to say explicitly, while OpenAFS developers are certainly welcome to
use whatever techniques make sense to them, I am completely uninterested
in doing anything at all with any of those half-assed meta-build systems
and will not assist in using them on Debian.  I believe they're
irredeemably broken as designed and are hopeless for generating packages
that actually work properly and integrate properly with the rest of the
system, and have better things to do with the time I have available to
work on Debian packages for OpenAFS.  Other people's mileage obviously may
vary.

Proper Debian packaging for master is something that I've been thinking
about for a while, but I was waiting for all the libtool stuff to land
since that's going to drastically change how OpenAFS should be packaged.
At this point, I don't have a lot of resources in the immediate future to
work on that packaging, but most of the important changes are now in so
that we can start looking at what those changes should be.  I'm hoping to
have somewhat more time for this towards the end of the year.

There's no obvious reason why the Debian packaging files in the tree
should need to remain stale; it's just a matter of someone importing the
changes from the Debian packaging.  The more pressing problem at the
moment is that master has never been packaged for Debian and is
substantially different from the stable branch.