[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

David Boyes dboyes@sinenomine.net
Fri, 14 Sep 2012 16:06:12 -0500

> Just to say explicitly, while OpenAFS developers are certainly welcome to
> use whatever techniques make sense to them, I am completely uninterested
> in doing anything at all with any of those half-assed meta-build systems =
and
> will not assist in using them on Debian.  I believe they're irredeemably
> broken as designed and are hopeless for generating packages that actually
> work properly and integrate properly with the rest of the system, and hav=
> better things to do with the time I have available to work on Debian
> packages for OpenAFS.  Other people's mileage obviously may vary.

Opinion noted. Still, *something* has to drive the process, and if that som=
ething can do more than one package format without having to write - and ma=
intain - a lot of custom scripting, then there's at least something worth d=
iscussing there, given the recent project resource availability discussion =
here and elsewhere. I can't see how burning developer time creating a packa=
ging tool is a smart use of resources when there are so many other things t=
hat need doing far worse.=20