[OpenAFS] buildbot and packages

Doug Hirsch dhirsch@pobox.com
Sat, 15 Sep 2012 23:21:33 -0700

Troy,

I'm unclear I've offered you anything you can actually use.  Mostly,
I'm offering you the reality check of a non-programmer, a Macbook with
me on the road and a stale Debian box powered down back at home.
You'll have to steer me through downloading, installing and using
anything that's not on a stock Mac running Mac OS 10.6.8, or bringing
the Linux box up to whatever environment you want once I get home.
Most of my other machines run Windows, although I have a couple of G4
Mac mini's hanging around for fun.  Your average college student will
not have much more to offer you, so I'm offering a chance for you to
define what you could actually accomplish harnessing thousands of us
"amicable zombies" with limited time, experience and resources.  If it
will help, I'm willing to install some virtualization package on the
Macbook, but will need guidance.  I also need to keep a lid on my time
commitment, so assume no more than 5 hours a week from me, with an
extra 5 hours this week to start up.  If you can make use of that, let
me know and I'll wander over to bitbucket.org.  What I want is someone
to talk me through getting OpenAFS going in my personal environment.
I'm unclear how much value you'll get out of me on just five hours a
week and 1.5 machines.  I've written proposals and defended engineers
building test environments, among other things, but I haven't gotten
my hands into code for many years, so I'm sure you'll be surprised by
what cultural assumptions you discover I don't know.  I see and
appreciate your energy and optimism, while I think you're
underestimating what you're asking.  But if you can make something
work with limited commitments from others, I'm happy to go along to
see what we can contribute to the community together.

Doug